Minutes of July regular meeting
- Meeting called to order by Mayor Patrick Bates at 7:00 PM on Monday, July 16th.
- Approval of minutes from June 26th meeting. Motion to approve by Jimbo Quick, second by Don Bates. Approved 4-0.
- Mayor reported receipt of sales tax revenue in the amount of $15,541.91. Additional funds are to be disbursed by the Cullman County Commission once bank accounts are opened.
- Keith Hardman and Bud Reed presented themselves for consideration as Council, Place 5. Mayor conveyed that Attorney Heath Meherg recommended postponement of action as some items require further review.
- One candidate, Connie Duke, was presented to the council for consideration as Town Clerk. After a brief interview, no action was taken at this time.
- Mayor requested that a special meeting be scheduled for July 30th at 7 PM to consider these positions and other business. Motion by Jimbo Quick, second by Don Bates. Approved 4-0.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2018 – 001 DESIGNATING DEPOSITORIES FOR VARIOUS FUNDS OF THE TOWN OF BERLIN was presented to the council for consideration. Motion to adopt by Don Bates, second by Jimbo Quick. Approved 4-0.
- Mayor discussed the process of selecting an initial bank and reported the best terms were received from Citizens Bank & Trust. Mayor will proceed with opening an account pursuant to Resolution 2018-001.
- RESOLUTION NO. 2018–002 ADOPTING MILEAGE RATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT TO EMPLOYEES AND OFFICERS OF THE TOWN OF BERLIN was presented to the council for consideration. Motion to adopt by Jimbo Quick, second by Matthew Blair. Approved 4-0.
- Consideration of cell phone service for a town clerk, but no action was taken as a clerk has not yet been selected.
- Mayor presented options for a domain name for the town’s web site and email services. After discussion of options, it was decided that the Mayor should report back to the council with exact costs to transfer ownership of the existing BerlinAL.org to the town.
- Mayor discussed existing social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter used during the incorporation effort. He announced that control of them would be transferred to the town.
- Remainder of agenda items were tabled as checks cannot be prepared due to the lack of a town clerk. Motion by Jimbo Quick, second by Matthew Blair. Approved 4-0.
- In other business, Mayor presented terms negotiated with the Trustees of the Berlin Community Center for a long-term rental. For the monthly rate of $500, the Town will rent the facility every Monday which is not a holiday starting with August and continuing for 12 months. Will continue month-to-month after initial term. In addition to their usual terms, the Trustees agreed as follows: Town may install an Internet service at its expense, Town may place a temporary sign at the road, Town may place a temporary secured cabinet in the building if out of the way, and the Community Center will provide a dumpster with weekly pickup. Motion to approve by Don Bates, second by Jimbo Quick. Approved 4-0.
- Mayor presented a quote from Charter Spectrum for Internet service in the monthly amount of $94.96. Motion by Jimbo Quick, second by Don Bates. Approved 4-0.
- Mayor asked for a motion to adjourn. Motion made by Don Bates and seconded by Jimbo Quick. Approved 4-0.
- The next meeting of the Berlin Town Council is scheduled for July 30th at 7 PM in the Berlin Community Center.